Our Guest Mentors:
Our Guest Mentor:
Pete Smith is a Partner at The Outperformer, and award-winning training & development firm that works with organisations enabling their employers to access best-in-class thinking to deliver better results, all through the power of career development. Pete is also CEO of Humanity in Business, as well as holding a number of training and facilitation consulting roles throughout his career.
Pete is based out of Sydney, Australia.
Key Quotes From the Episode:
“[On finance professionals breaking from their fixed mindsets] They have a peripheral vision across the business, all too often their expertise, and everyone’s for that matter, let’s us see things in a certain way.” [05:31]
“[On holding people accountable] Ultimately at the end of the day it’s just a good conversation unless you’ve got some action out of it because we need to hold people accountable.” [09:24]
“[On Lantern vs. Flashlight] If you’ve a lantern and go into a dark room you can see a lot of things not very clearly, but if you come into that dark room with a flash light you’re only going to see one thing, if we jump into solution mode too quick we’re getting our flashlight out too quickly, and we’re missing what else is in the landscape.” [10:55]
“[On delays in partnering on customer outcomes] Any lag in a service environment, it sort of sticks.” [16:00]
(Other resources and how to connect with Pete below).
Get Show Notes and Links in your Inbox!
CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE
Key Points From the Episode:
- The three main qualities of modern FP&A professionals that companies are looking for nowadays.
- How to build a team that is strategic in nature and from a low-cost and far away location
- Managing & leading diversity in the global finance workplace while maintaining the profitability of the business.
- The benefits of having flexible and finance team members willing to travel to build cohesive teams.
Time Stamped Show Notes
[02:39] – Pete shares his career journey from a leader in Publishing & Print, to Adult Education to working with Finance & Accounting Team around the world with the United Nations.
[05:31] – What’s holding finance professionals back from engaging more with their stakeholders, and the link to the 83% of well-trained radiologists missing the gorilla in an x-ray.
[13:37] – Pete relays a story of the difference between an accountant who can coach versus one who can’t.
[14:30] – What’s exciting Pete most about his current work, insights from other teams outside of Finance and their perceptions of the Finance.
[20:01] – Pete’s recent reads recommend to our audience.
[22:06] – How best to connect with Pete.
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion Paperback – 1 Feb 2007 by Robert B Cialdini PhD (Author)
- Coaching for Performance: The Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership FULLY REVISED 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION (People Skills for Professionals) Kindle Edition by John Whitmore (Author)
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 2) Kindle Edition by C. S. Lewis (Author)
Connect with today’s guest:
- LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thinkingbehaviour/
- Website: https://www.theoutperformer.co/